Something that all of us want, but seems to be so hard to achieve! More Instagram Followers more engagement – and in the case of my sweet fellow bloggers: more influence and collabs. In the past three months I have been experimenting with Instagram and was able to grow my Instagram Followers from 10K to more than 27K! In this blogpost I am sharing the absolute musts which you need for a succesfull Instagram with consistent growth and engagement.
1. Fix your IG Feed: People want to follow you on Instagram if they like your pictures and if your feed is cool. So let’s start with that! First of all, here is an article about 11 Instagram Stars Spilling their Secrets on creating the best photos. Secondly, It’s easy on the eye if the photos you post are cohesive and connected to each other in some way, you can achieve this in several ways:
- Always use the same filter
- Edit your pictures in a way that they get similar lighting & contrast
- Try to stick with a color palette (as you might have noticed, mine is dominantly white & blue)
- Balance out the type of pictures you post, don’t post too much of the same things in a row.
- Post a neutral picture such as a B&W Quote or a mainly white picture every now and then to make your overall feed more easy on the eye.
- Stand out: give your Instagram a theme and its own identity, like these 7 IG Accounts
2. Use the right Hashtags: If you want to be found by the right people on Instagram, make sure that your hashtags are relevant to the picture which you are sharing. In theory they are pretty much search words, so think well about what type of hashtags fit with your IG and your picture for the most relevant engagement. You should definitely try to see which hashtags work best for you, so go ahead and experiment! Important note: make sure not to use too much hashtags all too often, this might come over as spammy. The Nectar Collective shared some of their favorite hashtags to use to get more engagement and shoutouts, a great place to get started!
3. Regular Engagement: This is kind of a ‘no-brainer’: the more you engage, the more engagement you get in return. Of course not everyone has time (or internet) to be on IG all day long, but at least try to keep your engagement consistent. Like and comment on some pictures every day for 30 minutes, post a new picture at least once a day, and search for new interesting IGers once a week to keep your inspirations flowing and network growing. Good ideas for smart engagement:
- Check out the IGers who are similar to you and like some of the pictures of their followers. If they like them, they might like you as well!
- Go to the IG of hotspots where you regularly hang out (or where your target group probably goes to) and engage with some of their followers. It shows you have something in common and people will be more keen to follow you.
- If you get a shoutout from another IGer, make sure to engage with the people that like or comment on that shoutout. They already liked you, so the step to following will be easier!
4. Tag the right People: If you tag other IG’ers in your pictures it means that your picture will be shown in their tagged pictures, which means: more visibility! Also it will allow you to – hopefully – catch the attention from the IG’er you are tagging: a cool brand, a shoutout page, maybe even a celebrity, or just a friend! No matter what: more visibility = more engagement, and that’s what we are going for. Just like with the hashtags, make sure not to ‘overdo’ it since people will experience it as spammy. Keep the tags relevant to the picture you are posting and keep it balanced.
5. Show Personality: Make jokes, tell people what you’re up to, share your thoughts, and more! In the end, people want to follow you for one of the following reasons:
- They personally know you and want to stay in touch
- They like your pictures and captions; which means they want to know the person behind those pictures too
- They feel like they can identify with you and feel a connection
Either way, for all of those reasons you need to show your personality! There are 1000’s of people with pretty pictures on IG, who are you? Don’t be afraid to share your mind, you will be surprised to see how many people agree with you, laugh with you, or even cry with you. Don’t all of us like to feel a connection, even if it’s with someone who seems to be a stranger?
BOOM! There you go guys: your class on Instagram Followers 101, was there anything new you didn’t know before? Do you have any tips of your own? Share it with the community! For the brands out there: I recently started offering social media marketing and branding services, so don’t hesitate to contact me if you need any help!
Lots of Love,